Wednesday 9 July 2014

Artists' Blog Week 12

Since my last blog I have been on a bit of a road trip to Brisbane. The plan was for me to paint along the way but the wind would have blown a dog off a chain. We also had rain, sleet and some snow heading towards Armidale! The result was I took photos instead, not ideal but at least it gave me some good material.
North of Gloucester
The landscape was quite amazing and would have loved nothing more than to paint plein air but conditions were just not good enough despite how wonderful it looks in the above photo!

The only two paintings I did were in a motel room with the heater on in Armidale!

12"x9" studies

Dropped into Armidale Art Gallery to check out the Daphne Young Watercolour Prize, some very nice work on show!

Spent quite a long time at the Tweed Regional Gallery checking out the Margaret Olley exhibition where her main rooms from the Hat Factory at Paddington have been reconstructed. What an amazing job they have done! This is well worth the drive to have a look, the setting overlooking the Tweed Valley is extraordinary.

On these road trips my man and I travel on B roads and stay away from the mainstream, it is such a wonderful way to go and there is so much to see just from here to Brisbane!

On Saturday I received a call to say i had won the Shoalhaven Art Show Best in Show Prize.
'The Blue Mug'

Serendipitously I was sitting on that chair in my daughters' kitchen when the call came!
Woot!

On the trip home called into Ballina where I had a coffee and a chat with an artist, Maria Heaton, I only knew online, always nice to connect with another artist.

So what is coming up, Singleton Rotary Art Show, James Kiwi Watercolour Prize, Taree Art Show, Mosman Art prize. 
Glad I had a few days of R&R!




2 comments:

  1. You surely do and I was sitting at that table on that chair when I found out about the prize….serendipity!

    ReplyDelete