Sunday 4 May 2014

Artists Diary Week 3


We have had the most wonderful Autumn weather here and consequently I have been torn between my garden and my studio! So, I gave each a bit of my time.

Had two exhibition deliveries this week, one to the Hunter Valley and one closer to home at the Hawkesbury Show. Spent some time gathering subject matter in the Hunter and had a nice lunch with my man at Morpeth.

Got into the studio finally on Tuesday and did just one full sheet watercolour, still thinking about this one. 

 
'Kangaroo Island'

My studio was in such a mess with all the recent shows, taking down of paintings but never managing to get any back on the walls that it was a bit problematic stepping back for the long view. A major sort out was needed. Spent some time doing just that but really, it was still a mess.

I was heading out to paint on Wednesday but my friends and I ended up having a rest day and watched Herman Pekels new DVD. We were all enthralled and if you like watercolour I can recommend it.  
http://www.apvfilms.com/show_product.asp?id=323

On Thursday I was determined to get into the studio, so between cleaning and sorting I completed another full sheet. Am pretty happy with this one.

'Perched'

Friday was sorting some paperwork, entering more shows and then in the evening attending the Camden Art Prize opening. Was pretty amazed to win the Portrait prize and happy to receive a HC in watercolour. Caught up with lots of artist friends and their partners.



Had a lovely day in the city on Saturday, visited the Sydney Living Museum for an exhibition on 'Iconic Australian Homes'. Some wonderful architecture embracing our distinctive landscape.
http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/exhibitions/iconic-australian-houses
After lunch my friend and I attended the Australian Ballet performance at the Opera House. We have been subscribers for 25 years and love this day together.

Sunday saw me at a workshop with the very talented David Newman-White doing a portrait day. He is a great tutor and we worked
 hard in charcoal, pastel and then with oil pastel, a medium I have rarely used before but it was good to push oneself. Our model was the amazing Harold Hunt O.A.M. This gentleman talked about his life, he is 88, the whole time he was sitting for us from his childhood through to being a drover, shearer and working in the social field for substance abuse. What a storyteller and what a privilege to spend this time with him. It still has a way to go.

'Harold'

That was the week that was!




No comments:

Post a Comment